Time saving take-away for the following:
Mild procrastination is good for you. Its just another way of giving your mind a chance to work on something behind the scenes, to allow for inspiration. However, it doesn't work that well within the box of a to-do list, that is why it feels uncomfortable.
More background here:
I know the techniques, I know about breaking down big goals into tiny steps.
I just don't always take the time to do it. Partly because for me, at this stage, its so obvious what needs doing next. I have learned enough to not spend time on non-urgent priorities.
Here is a time saving tip: You already know what needs to get done, for REAL, to get you to your next goal. Usually it involves talking to someone - like a prospect, client or vendor. A good way to know what is the next thing you need to do is to look at what you are procrastinating on.
I know at this stage my top 3 activities are 1)clarify vision and UVP 2)talk to entrepreneurs 3)grow my network.
If 80% of my productive day is spent on 3 areas, I'm good. The other 20% which is basically admin, logistics and wandering into the kitchen for a snack.
Which leads me to a confession #1. I cheat on my to-do list all the time. And I feel stressed while I'm doing it, because it feels like procrastinating, and isn't that a bad thing?
In a moment of unlikely synergy - a place online I had never visited and from a person I had not met before - I ran across the TED talk video below.
It connected recent events into an affirmation - mild procrastination, also known as taking an unscheduled break, helps the creative process.
Mild procrastination is just another way of giving your mind a chance to work on something behind the scenes, to allow for inspiration. But it doesn't work that well within the box of a to-do list, hence my infidelity with Wunderlist.
OK confession #2 - I didn't watch the talk all the way through, and you don't have to either. The spoiler is Adam has research that shows that mild procrastination corresponds with higher creativity. Thats awesome because I now se its something I've been doing in the past couple years that works well for me.
For example. This week I am feeling pressured to nail down more refined value prop and vision. It felt slow in coming, its still evolving in fact, but I want to move ahead and everything builds on this!
I don't want to build social media and content strategy around an idea that doesn't have some depth.
Two days ago I was supposed to jam down on this. We went to catch the food market vendors early in the morning, ended up discovering a new area and stopped for coffee at a cute shop. I walked into the coffee shop and said to the voice in my head that was yammering at me to get back to work, "Just relax, already! Take this time fully, then you can come back to work later".
Which I did. I had a great convo with my guapo Mexican about my passion side project to design the most amazing coffee shop community ever.
A few hours later a new much better expression of the ClearCEO vision came to me - We provide a Clear path for women to bring their dream business to life. I read it a couple times and the word Clear jumped out. Like duh! That must be why I picked that name! The flow from there led to simplifying several steps in our platform design. This is happening regularly - the week before, I woke up with a fully developed version of another facet of the plan.
I can't plan the flow of this inspiration, but I'm finally beginning to trust it because it does save me time in the long run - I don't spend hours trying to force a solution. Forced solutions are never as good as the ones that come to me when I balance work with meditation, coffee breaks, workouts, and procrastinating.